When you hear the word “nanotechnology,” does science fiction come to mind? In fact, nanotechnology is part of our daily lives; it makes our way of life easier. Nanotechnology is essentially the science of dealing with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Scientists can use nanotechnology to develop new materials that can be applied and used in a variety of ways.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an illustration, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists creating a way to use nanotechnology to reduce the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes widespread, it may help prolong the lives of machines and engines and enable them to operate more proficiently. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists created tiny polymer particles that were distributed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have an extraordinary capability to reduce friction.
More efficient motors
The story reported that even when these particles were dispersed at a low concentration, they boasted more effective friction-reducing abilities than the friction reducing additives used by lots of industries today. The scientists discovered that these particles, measuring just nanometers in size, made it possible to reduce friction by 55 percent more than additives presently can. Expect more discoveries such as this down the road. The field of nanotechnology continues to grow. It’s growing so quickly, in fact, that the United States recently released a national strategy for ensuring that environmental, health, and safety research needs are determined and addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
So, whenever you think about nanotechnology consider the engine in your car. In the not too distant future we may have nanotechnology to thank for more fuel-efficient cars, which obviously means saving you money.
Network and PC Security: 7 Tips to Fight Malware – Anteris Solutions
About Anteris Solutions
Anteris combines technology with expertise to provide complete IT solutions with efficiency and integrity, and to ensure the stability of our clients' networks.
- 11/20/2014 Want to write better headlines? Use these 7 tips!
- 11/18/2014 Playing Nice on Facebook: Business Do’s and Don’ts
- 11/13/2014 3 Killer Ways to Use Google Hangouts in Your Business
- 11/11/2014 Google Pigeon Update for Local Search
- 11/06/2014 Want More Clicks From Your Social Media? See These 3 Tips
- 11/04/2014 Email Marketing - 10 Best Practices
- 10/31/2014 Visual Marketing’s Time is Now!
- 10/30/2014 Check Out These 9 Useful Social Media Management Tools
- 09/25/2014 Why Your Business Should Care About Yelp
- 09/23/2014 Use Google Business Photos to Showcase Your Business!